Monday, July 13, 2009

  {three meals...one chicken}

Hey Everyone! Ok, so I am really excited because I am going to be sharing meals everyday on the blog because I joined the All You Magazine Grocery Challenge!

So what it is, is for the next 4 weeks, I will attempt to make my meals for my family for no more than $25 per person per week. For my family of 4, that is $100 a week. Well, you all know I LOVE a bargain, so I am totally up for this! Blogging about your meals is optional, but I thought, we could all use some help with making cheaper, healthy meals that are quick and easy! So I thought I would share mine with you! :)

I was inspired by The Happy Housewife a few months ago to use one chicken to make meals for my family! I have done this once before with the meals she shared, but I figured I would try some thing new this time!

**NOTE: before we get started, I wanted to say that the meals at the start of this week will all be made from things I already have around the house, using my stockpile of meats in the freezer, pantry items, etc. I will go shopping on Thursday or Friday when I run out of milk and eggs. But until then, these meals are all made from things I ALREADY HAD! So NO Money there because stockpiles don't count towards your total if you already have them! :)

Meal #1: Chicken Pot pie!
First you want to start with a roasted chicken. I just coated it with some cooking spray, salt, and pepper and cooked it on 400 for 1 1/2 hours or until golden brown and cooked through!


Then peal the meat off of the entire chicken!! You can use the skin also if you would like. I made a pile of white meat and then separated it into two containers, also a container of dark meat. These will be used for three separate meals!


For the POT PIE:
you will need:
chicken (I used one breast and one wing's worth of white meat) cut into chunks
1 family size can, cream of chicken soup
1 bag frozen mixed vegetables (get these free with coupons purchased from eBay!)
1 prepared pie crust (you can make your own, but for time sake, I used one from the store brand...the kind you find in a roll by the cookies!)

Here is how to make it:
1.) In a large bowl, combine soup, veggies, and meat.
2.) Spray down a regular size pie plate with cooking spray and fill with soup mixture (no bottom crust!)
3.) Unroll crust on top of soup mix and fold over the edges so there is none hanging off the edge. Crimp with a fork and poke a few holes in the top.
4.) place the pie plate onto a baking sheet so if any filling spills out, it will catch it. Bake at 425 for 20-25 min

Here is the beautiful outcome! Tasty!!! :)





Be sure to check in the rest of the week to see the other two meals made with this chicken!! You wont believe how far you can stretch your money on this one! :)

blog siggy

No comments:

link within: Blog Widget by LinkWithin