Wednesday, August 5, 2009

  {How To: Spruce up a bulletin board}

I am so excited to finally get this posted! I have been so stuck on food, I had forgotten about my DIY projects I have been working on! :)
Today I am going to show you how to take an UGLY old bulletin board (or a new one if you want, hehe) and make it FAB-O!!
Here is what you need:
a bulletin board
fabric (enough to cover the front)
spray adhesive
ribbon (enough to go around the edges)
hot glue gun
scrapbooking paper
glass marble things from the floral department of your craft store
modge podge or school glue
pushpins that are almost flat
Craft paint (optional)
ok, here is what I did, I started by painting the edges of the frame so they are white. Then I measured and cut the fabric BACKWARDS to make sure it fit:




Next, I sprayed it down with spray adhesive:


then flipped it over CAREFULLY, make sure your sides don't stick (you might want someone to help you on this step) and press down fabric so there are no gaps or bubbles:


next, you want to cut your ribbon to fit each side...make sure they are separate cuts, not all one long piece, then use your glue gun to glue down to the sides:

Then you will want to make your push pins.
I started with these large glass thingys


and I cut our scrapbooking paper to fit the bottoms, glued it on using modgepodge, and then hot glued a push pin to the back:


Then you can push them into your board, and its ready for hanging! :)


Dont forget to check out all the awesome DIY projects at Kimba's Blog:

http://asoftplacetoland-kimba.blogspot.com/2009/08/diy-day.html

blog siggy

19 comments:

Nicole A. said...

It looks awesome! Love that fabric and love the magnets you made! I am working on one myself, they are so fun! I also love the pop of purple!

Kitty Scraps said...

Cute bullentin board Nikki! Love your pushpins. I've been wanting to make some of those myself *smiles*

Christina said...

I'm going to have to try this. Thanks for the idea. Looks great!

Infarrantly Creative said...

Thati s really cute...and you take terrific pictures Nikki. You seem to be so well-rounded and fun. Cook, craft and a fasionista...I can do only one of those things well...LOL!

Liz @ It's Great To Be Home said...

I'm so glad that you left a comment on my blog because now I have a new blog to follow!! I'm loving your bulletin board, but even more so I've been perusing your recipes and I'm feeling totally inspired to cook (and that's a rarity for me!!).

Kristi said...

We have that same fabric in our oldest daughter's room. I love the black and white...but your push pin thingies just make it. Great job!

queenbee said...

Great project! I have thought about doing one of these for awhile, but never have gotten around to actually doing it. Thanks for the inspiration.

Joy said...

Your remade bulletin board looks fantastic!!! Great job.

Jennifer said...

I love that idea! I have one of those corkboards with the metal frame and I hate how plain it is! I love the glass pieces that you turned into thumbtacks. Thanks for sharing such a wonderful makeover!
Have A Great Day!
Jennifer

Tamara Jansen said...

What a FAB idea. I love those tacks with BLING!

Heathahlee said...

Nikki, that is so cute! I love the fabric! And I will have to try that mod podge pin idea!

I am Mom said...

Wow - just bought that same fabric at Joanns on sale. I plan to cover couch pillows - maybe I will have some leftover to do this! so cute

Mama Byrd said...

love it. Just looked up at my corkboard and shook my head, he's gettin a makeover tomorrow!

Carly said...

I love the damask fabric on the bulletin board! Nice job!!

Delightful Dwelling said...

I love the fabric you used, it's so pretty. And those tacks are so creative!

Us Simple Girls said...

Anything spruced up with beautiful fabric like that, gets our stamp of approval!

We linked you on our new crafty blog (www.threesimplegirls.blogspot.com)because we love love love your creativity!

-Sarai (of 3SG)

Laura aka Lolo said...

Thank you I love that you give driections for dummies it so works for me. I was trying to think of something for my bedroom wall that I could put up that was cheap and I believe this is it. So again thanks

Karen said...

Wow I think I've just figured out what I'm doing in my hallway by the garage and kitchen! Thanks for the post.

Anonymous said...

Deals.

[url=http://flyme.webng.com/enjoy=175.html]american airline tickets to distrito federal[/url]
[url=http://flyme.webng.com/enjoy=709.html]cheap airline tickets domestic[/url]
[url=http://flyme.webng.com/enjoy=1700.html]toledo ohio to melbourn sanford airport airline ticket[/url]
[url=http://flyme.webng.com/enjoy=430.html]discount airline ticket to australia[/url]
[url=http://flyme.webng.com/enjoy=1724.html]cheapest days to buy airline tickets[/url]

link within: Blog Widget by LinkWithin